Sunday, February 3, 2013

Communication

The texting era has only been around for less than 15 years or so and its hard to believe the revolution it has caused in such a short period. Clive Thompsons article makes a very interesting point that we are in a midst of a revolution that hasn't occurred since the Greek civilization. We are living in a generation that has or will cause the English language, as we know it, to become something that will be passed down for generations as the next new language. Our English language will take a huge transformation withing the next few years or so that it will be so difficult for the older folks to understand, and this is trending now. My parents don't even know how to text or what texting even is the same will be true for me, my children will be so far ahead that I probably wouldn't have a clue of what they are talking out once the new fad comes in.

texting cartoon
 As far as I am concerned so far texting or tweeting hasn't impacted my writing style too much, I do occasionally use "u" instead of "you" but its something that is quickly corrected. I am a tweeter and I like to read and tweet daily, and in a way this does have impact on reading skills. Scholarly papers for example are written will correct grammar and structure, whereas a tweet in most cases does not, so if one reads tweets all day long and doesn't read the newspaper, it will impact them in one way or another.


Image#1-  http://jokesprank.com/blog/funny-jokes/texting-abbreviations-twitter-abbreviations-chat-shortcut-sms-im-slang.html


No comments:

Post a Comment