Saturday, February 2, 2013

New Literacy


I was born in to the generation where texting, tweeting and chatting online by using emoticons and abbreviated words is normal. I got my first cellphone at 13, I got Facebook when I was 15 and I just recently got Twitter. Yes, most of the time when i text and chat online I could care less to how my grammar is or if I spelled a word wrong and even abbreviate words to make it shorter for me to type/text.

 
In the article it states “technology isn't killing our ability to write. It's reviving it—and pushing our literacy in bold new directions”, I 100% agree with this statement.  Technology isn’t all about spending amount of times texting friends and purposely writing like a fool or lazy person, it’s what stays us connected to everyone else. It’s kind of like a language. It’s communication. Speaking o in this case, testing/typing this “language” may be difficult at first but once you get the hang of it you will understand this “language” My mom got Facebook and got in to texting just a while ago and she says it’s probably the most annoying ever created by mankind, she struggles with deciphering what OMG, LOL or WTF is.. But she admits she understands how the younger generation gets enticed with talking the way we do, as she will constantly ask me what these acronym mean and once she gets it, she will start using it!
However when it comes to a formal setting like school, where I have to write an analytical essay or a persuasive essay I will actually look into how my grammar is or if I spelled a word right and learn to not abbreviate words. I know that there is a time and a place for everything.  Right now it seems like our generation is killing what people in the past has established to what good writing should look like but you never know by the time we have  our own children or when our children have their own children, , the dynamics of what good writing is may have changed because our generation. Just a thought to think about ;)

1 comment:

  1. It was unclear to me whether or not you agreed that this generation's technology has affected the way we communicate with one another. Would you say that your communication skills are greater than your parents but you grammar is lesser than theirs?

    ReplyDelete