Thursday, February 7, 2013

Trolls


As stated in the article, “trolls are people who poison discussions with anger, hatred, and threats”.

This article made me reflect upon the communities that I have heard of and belonged to. I have noticed that generally communities that explore controversial topics like politics or religion have a higher probability of coming across trolls, because people tend to get more argumentative and aggressive with those topics. On the other hand, there is less trolling when communities explore topics that are not as controversial, like fashion.  

The community that I have decided to join is called StyleScrapbook . The creator of Style Scrapbook shares a series of make-up tips, talks about trends, fashion shows, etc. I have selected this community because is about fashion which is something that I’m really interested in. Another reason why I like it is because it is a healthy community.  In Style Scrapbook, people generally voice their opinions but in a respectful manner which I think is really important; so far I have not come across any trolls.
 
Everyone is entitled to voice their opinions; however this should always be done in a mature and respectful matter.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that there are less trolls in online communities for topics such as fashion. The fashion blogs I have looked at always have lots of encouraging and flattering comments for the blog posters are there are very few rude comments. Where as when it comes to politics people know they can get a rise out of others on sensitive topics.

    ReplyDelete