Monday, February 11, 2013

Online communities and connection/isolation


After reading the two articles I thin the points they bring up are true and that people are now becoming people they are not over the internet. Every day people post false information some to impress their friends and some just to escape daily life, whatever the reason may be everyday we are faced with this form of false consciousness. After reading the articles most notably when they both touch on Facebook it is evident to me that more and more people are choosing to leave social media sites and live in the real world. In my own opinion I do think Facebook is a useful tool in our world, due it many uses which include connecting with others and for what I use it for which is to be updated on events coming up in my own social circle. When people are able to connect with a large group of people all at one time, which can be seen in large groups for birthdays or anything like that I do think the site is very useful. It would be near to impossible to connect to a group that large in person due to having to connect with everyone, Facebook just adds the ease of connection. 

When they talk about Chat-roulette the internet site where you are able to view the people you are connecting with I think the opinion of internet sites like this being negative can be seen. With many users showing inappropriate content on the site lots of people are offended by what they see and this to me shows the negative side of the internet. After being on the site myself and not being bothered by things I may see because I can simply choose not to see things I do not want to, I think the site is fun and entertaining. 

Many people take their use of social media to extremes and sometimes I would classify myself as one of those people. Each hour I probably check my phone up to ten times and text many people. Sometimes when I am so occupied using my phone I miss important content in class or loose focus while I am trying to study and when they talk about this in the articles I do think it is true. When I am so occupied on my phone which usually happens while I am with my friends I do think it shows a negative side to social media use.

Many times when I feel out of place or in an awkward position I will pull out my phone and check all of my social media sites or text friends and i never really know why, it may be just to pass time but it also has to due with the way my phone makes me feel comfortable which shows to me how big of an impact social media can have on me. 

1 comment:

  1. It is true that Facebook can be very useful due to the various things you pointed out. However, I believe that we are becoming extremely dependent of technology and social media sites. Yes, communication is a lot more effective now a day due to technology, but it also has a series of down falls. In your comment you pointed out that when you feel out of place or in an awkward position you usually put out your phone; I think most people do the same. Technology has become a "hiding place" which is isolating us from one another.

    ReplyDelete