Friday, February 15, 2013

Social Networking

Social networking has a lot of pros and cons, for me mostly its more pros.  I understand the rising problem of peoples social skills lacking because of social networking, but for me social networking sites such as Facebook have been very important for me and my family.  I have lot of family spread out across the country and overseas and social networking helps me to keep in touch with them.

Over the years i have reconnected with so many family members that I would have been to lazy to pick up a phone and call to see how there doing.  Facebook allows me to have a quick chat with my family that i haven't had a chance to talk to in years.  I travel a lot now and the reason i travel so much is because of Facebook. Facebook helped me to reconnect with my family so I am able to plan and meet up with them. 
Another pro for me is Facebook allows you to create groups and have group posts.  This helps me out because I'm in a couple intramural sports teams.  The group pages help me and my teammates to communicate on who can show up for a game, who cant, and who can fill in as a sub.

However i do agree on the fact that we are really distancing our selves in face to face communication.  More and more people check their phones to see updates on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.  All this happens even while your having a conversation, dinner or even hanging out with your friends.  As much as i am an advocate of Facebook and social networking, I try my best to not look at my phone if I'm having a conversation.

2 comments:

  1. After reading the article and learning more in class do you think you might be more motivated to actually call one of your family members now? I personally moved away from home to attend school here and so I also use Facebook to stay in touch. After learning more though I have started making a conscious effort to call my friends instead of FB chat them or text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you social media has several constructive and unconstructive aspects. Considering the positive side, have you ever though how much it would have been cost you if you used the traditional method of communication to keep in touch with your family who lives in overseas?

    ReplyDelete