Saturday, February 2, 2013

Literacy and Online Communication


     As a person that grew up in the time where internet had not truly captured the intention of a globalizing world and a time where children knew what palm of there hand looked like without a phone in it I can vouch for a generation. Growing up in a time where the social norm was to get your first cell phone at the age of 12-14 our generation has had those first 12 years to learn the english language without hundreds of abbreviations and emotions. 

     Though acronyms and abbreviations are still used in my own texting to save time and express my emotion with text when called upon to write a well formatted email to a teacher I do not infuse my text talk into my professional talk. However, the change in social norms, what is acceptable and what is not is inevitable. I believe that having proper grammar and spelling taught in school is priceless but in this time people must be able to master both languages of communication. 

     It is stunning to think about how much writing occurs in my generation. If I were to add each word I have typed, texted and written it would blow my parents out of the water and I am only 20 ! They way we communicate is changing so it now falls on our educators- parents and teachers.  My worries come from thinking about generations to come. There is a panic arising that my generation does not know their grammar, sentence structure and correct spelling but is anything being done?  


No comments:

Post a Comment