Monday, February 11, 2013

No more face to face?

     I find it ironic that we use social media networking as a way to interact with other individuals, yet people can't seem to be get a conversation going in the real world. People have become to reliant on technology and hiding behind screens and phones to talk. We've seem to lose our way with face to face confrontations, yet opened a new way to communicate. Frankly, using the Net to communicate has opened a new sense of community for people. I find it more ironic that we are losing one way of communication and coming up with a new one which involves not having to face the other person. No body has the courage to start a conversation with people now and are too afraid of the emotional risks that come with it. People have become so desperate to find a way to communicate without physically getting emotionally hurt. It  most likely is easier to handle through a text or a facebook message.

     Then there's the people who are actually dissatisfied with social networking like facebook. I agree with these people that facebook is becoming such a big part of peoples' lives, but how far can it really go? There will a point to where it can become tiresome or repetitive I find. I use facebook as a way to connect with my friends who don't live in Calgary and I can't call/text them. Otherwise I'm sure I'd delete mine. Facebook causes too much drama that no one cares about, but still somehow manage to read further into it.

     I do believe that the issue of social networking shapes our communication strongly. It's very ironic in the sense that it creates a sense of community while isolating another form of communication. It is dependent on the individual of course, but I firmly believe it's isolating real life communication. That is the communication people should strive for. At the rate we are going people barely can get a true conversation going and that's worrisome for this generation. In all honesty, I hope people will realize that this form of communication is not as needed as in real life.

1 comment:

  1. Getting emotionally involved in a conversation is huge and I agree that people are afraid to get hurt. A great example is a break-up where text messages are, in my opinion, the easiest way to break-up with someone and its over with a click of a button"; no emotions no hurt, usually.

    ReplyDelete