Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Memes are good entertainment


     I personally believe memes are fully intended for entertainment. The people who create them relate to real life situations, turning a serious situation into something humorous. In some cases they're not used or made at appropriate times but often it's for a good laugh. I've seen so many different memes and could not help laugh or question how stupid it was. It's the same as that expression, "One picture could mean a thousand words." In this case, a meme can describe a bunch of different situations or feelings. I have gone to websites such as REDDIT only in times of utter boredom and I can get really funny things out of it. Most of the memes I find though, relate to in real life situations or things I know that are true. The fact is that it relates to many people and that's what makes it popular. If people can relate and have a laugh it'll bring a closer sense of community.    

     In the article with "Are LOLcats making us smart?" I agree some people take it a little far. For example, the video with Dodson. It was a serious issue yet people laughed. Individuals have yet to cross a boundary with memes or taking situations not seriously is concerning. In the future, we do not know if they will get worse or lessen. I believe memes are good at the right times, but it has to be appropriate. It shouldn't be used to mock people. However that is not the case here. Individuals need to learn to respect different situations or times appropriately, otherwise it ends up like the Dodson issue. I believe people need to be a little more considerate with the matter is all.

1 comment:

  1. I think its interesting you mention the respect of situation you are in. It is hard to find that line of funny and inappropriate. I agree Dodson's state meant was taken to far, what happened to the victim was not a laughing matter. But its not as if he meant for society to take it to the level that they did. How do we know where individuals boundaries should be??

    ReplyDelete