Sunday, February 3, 2013

Our New Language

     Over history it seems that past generations are never happy with the way the newest generations have turned out.  From things as simple as what music they listen to, and most recently, how they communicate with one another.  The basic perception of our generation is that we can't spell, properly use grammar, or form proper sentences because of the social media devices we use.  However, after reading these articles, I have learned that this is not the opinion of everyone.  these articles talk how kids have learned to become more efficient with the words they choose and have built the skill of persuasion in their words.  I feel that I am no different.  Growing up there was nothing I hated more in school than spelling tests.  Since I was so terrible at spelling I hated practicing.  The only time I would actually have to write was in school and I never gave it a full effort because I flat out didn't like it.  The greatest thing that ever happened to my ability to spell was getting a cell phone as a teenager.  All of a sudden I was spelling words all the time and actually cared enough about my audience to check my spelling.  I would imagine I have sent thousands of texts over the years; because of this I have actually became a decent speller.
       Senior citizens have always looked at children as a whole different species.  Whether it be because of their rock and roll music or their crazy new Facebook.  We are looked down upon because we have different values as a whole.  Older generations, for the most part, had the mentality to out work their competition.  These days, kids try to find ways to work as little as possible and win.  I do believe that kids these days don't work as hard as past generations had to.  But it's a different world! We don't have to.  I'm sure that one day I will be looking at the future generations in shock as well.  It is a scary, ever changing, world.  But it doesn't mean that because we have cell phones, Facebook and Twitter that we are going to run the world into the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment