Sunday, February 10, 2013

Observing Online Communities

For an online community of my choice, I chose Alison Redford's face book page. I recently have been very interested in politics, specifically Alison Redford's actions (or lack thereof) and after realizing what goes on there and the way people react to each others comments got me interested. At first I tried to troll and start something going (unethical?) but I soon realized that I really didn't have to add my two cents on what I think about Premier Redford, I just had to log in and read while enjoying how much of a difference in opinion there was. Of course there were few trolls (people who instigate arguments). I believe the reason to this was because my community's audience and subject doesn't appeal to teens (I just turned 18 so I guess there must be someone besides me). It is a much more mature audience then #KevinZ audience who are younger. People still got mad at each other's comments about how well our new premier is going to go down in Canada's books as the "worst Premier EVER!" said a member. Soon after I tried getting a screen shot of the comment to post and it was deleted. Which brings me to my next subject of moderating on the site. To some extent there are times when comments and posts on the Premier's page get deleted. All of them are people who may voice their opinions a bit too harshly. I believe it is wrong in all contexts to delete comments! The page is up in order to talk to Alberta's, but how is she going to achieve that by not letting people voice their opinions, regardless if they are with or against you. Lastly Alison Redford rarely reply back to people who comment. Posts are never posted by other people, only by Redford. Comments are done on behalf of the premier by her communications office.

These comments aren't necessarily in chronological order, go on her face book to read them, some are hilarious. Some adults act like children.

No comments:

Post a Comment