Thursday, February 28, 2013

Memes

     Memes are the newest way to communicate ideas around the world.  I believe them to be so popular because of their simplicity.  They are easy and quick to read and because of their humorous nature they are very attractive.  The best memes are the ones that connect people.  The greatest thing about memes is that they have the ability to connect people on opposite sides of the world through a simple idea, phrase and picture.  My favorite memes are the ones that make me realize that I am not the only one that has a particular opinion or thought.  I found this meme from the movie Bruce Almighty and I thought it was the funniest thing because it related to me.  After seeing this movie every time I go to spell the word "beautiful" I think of how he says it as B-E-A-Utiful! And because of this movie I will never spell that world wrong again.


     Memes are set to address a certain demographic of people.  This one is set to anyone that has seen that particular movie.  But memes can be set to address a broad demographic like this or have the ability to relate to a much smaller audience.  This one here is meant for MRU students.  It addresses the subject that Mount Royal has the hottest women of any school around.  Anyone that doesn't go to MRU or have a relation to the school wouldn't understand the joke.  But that is the best part about memes, they don't have to be targeted at everyone.  They just need to be put in a place that the target audience will see it.   

2 comments:

  1. Great post ! I completely agree that the simplicity of memes and there ability to connect people is what makes them so powerful. A meme does not even need to address a global audience, it can be just a picture with text representing and inside joke among friends. The possibilities of laughing and even learning are endless from memes ! I also have to admit that Jim Carrey was a huge help for me to remember the correct spelling for BEAUTIFUL ! Loved it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with your post. I love to see new memes and realize that other people relate to similar things as me without even knowing who made it specifically. I usually only look at funny memes, but do you think memes could be effective in delivering important/controversial information? ... I have my doubts. And thanks for explaining the MRU meme... I had no idea what it meant. Good post.

    ReplyDelete