Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Case for Pseudonyms




After reading this article, I started to understand the importance of Pseudonyms. I am the person that doesn't mind using my full name as a user name or putting my information out into the Internet to for people to see. I actually thought when people would use offbeat or different user names or go by names in which i knew wasn't really them, I would think that they were doing that because they were hiding something or up to no good. I thought it was weird that people wouldn't use their name. 

However as the article continued, i started to empathize with people who do use pseudonyms. Not only does the article talk about  how individuality is promoted by using pseudonyms but it raises and enhances safety for individuals. The Internet is filled with bullies and I'll admit that there are times where I find myself making fun of people for what they put up on the Internet or what they say but not to an extent where I actually harass them. As I think now, online bullying aka cyber bulling is something that, unfortunately, is very common now and something that should be monitored and be looked into more. I believe from reading his article and the other articles that were posted with this article, Pseudonyms should be allowed more with social networks like Facebook or Google+. I'm sure most people will agree that they would want to live in the world knowing that they are safe and sound.

I have someone in my family whose job entails them to interview people and hire the best person to join them in their company and sometimes they will tell me that they will search if that person has a social network. I didn't really think that it was a big deal when that family member told me and actually think that it was quite funny. However after reading the article, my opinion has changed. Regardless on whether it's illegal or not to search a potential employee's social network, I don't like the fact people have the power to do that. In fact it's kind of scary and concerning to know that one Facebook picture or some kind thing you could of said online- ultimately decides on whether you are employed and unemployed.

I've come to a conclusion that pseudonyms is a good thing because it increases security and protects individualism. So when i see someone with a name that's obviously a pseudonym I won't be so fast to judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment