Thursday, January 31, 2013

ez writing




http://cdn.thenextweb.com/files/2010/12/textspeak.jpg
http://cdn.thenextweb.com/files/2010/12/textspeak.jpg
Technology has gone a long ways in terms of advancement, from the days of typewriters to computers with high speed internet.  Somewhere along the way we learned how to abbreviate almost every word that is commonly used.  I personally am thankful for this because this makes my writing and communicating with friends faster and more efficient.  However I do understand the other side to this debate of how literacy has taken a step back.

I am a great example of the other side of the debate.  I often catch my self writing abbreviated words when writing essays for school or even writing professional emails.  It doesn't happen all the time but it happens frequently enough that I get worried when writing essays.  My technical writing has definitely taken a step back, but at the same time i feel like I have a better understanding of how to engage the readers interests with a writing style.

Going back to my main point, i love that we have an understanding on what abbreviated words mean now.  English is my 2nd language and with all the shortcuts we have in today's society, the shortcuts definitely make it easier when I'm communicating with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment