Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Tweet or twit ?

     I will agree with Andrea Lunsford that technology isn't exactly harming our ability to write. I personally believe it may affect the coherency of our writing. The article states that our generation has written far more than any other and it is because of technology. It allows us to communicate with whoever we choose and expands communication to a whole new level. People have more variety to communicate whatever they choose, when they choose, and however they choose. Even though people have the freedom to communicate with whomever they please, people care about the way they write. It may not be the smartest or grammatically correct way, but it gets their representation out and they write for their own audiences anyway. The Internet has allowed easy access to communication, so why not take advantage of it!

     On the other hand, I believe it does take a toll on how we write. I find most individuals are lazy and always want to find a quicker way to get their point across. So this is where the shortcuts for texts/writing come in. People have found ways to get around writing paragraphs or anything formal I find. It does affect knowledge on grammar because it becomes a habit. It becomes a daily routine, if an individual writes like that majority of the time. I know because when I use my twitter and text, I write completely different than the way I am right now.

         As you can see, when I tweet I look like a fool not caring about my grammar, structure and definitely spelling. However, on a social network, no one cares because the point that was trying to be made, was successful. I've come down to believing that students and individuals can write certain things, but it won't be the best or formal thing that they can do. Universities schools would never allow this kind of writing in essays or papers so I don't think that's something to worry about. In any case, today's technology does affect writing. People will always find a good way to be lazy, even if it is simple writing.

1 comment:

  1. I do agree with the point that our generation has written the most words out of any other but my problem is seen in the exact photo you have posted. Even a period in todays texting worlds does not have the same value it used too. Overall, great post ! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete