Thursday, January 24, 2013

Images and Rhetoric

If I had to put a picture up as an avatar I would choose this one.  I believe that a reader would see the photo and automatically think that I was a person who is quite interested in editing and enhancing photographs, which I am. Perhaps they may take that observation and perceive that a person who does enhance photos is someone who takes their time to make sure everything is perfect and may conclude that people who choose to use a real photo may be more open to sharing thoughts and ideas. However the perception may come from another direction and people may think that editing photos and using it is an avatar is a way to hide from others.  So it really is up to the people on how they want to perceive avatars or images like mine that will determine on whether they think it’s trustworthy or dishonest.

I chose this photo to be edited as well as a photo that doesn't show my face because I like to keep this mysterious and secluded but I do consider myself as someone who tells the truth. As much as I am comfortable with being online and expressing my thoughts and ideas, I don’t want everyone to know what’s going on in my life. This image allows people to see a personal photo as well keeps my true identity somewhat private but in the same time tries to display and encourage individuality.

The environment of this photo and using as an avatar is more attuned to websites that include creativity or a place where you can express interests of Photoshop, photography and other things associated with photography. I would consider this photo as more for fun and playful as well as safe and comfortable. I could be wrong but I wouldn't expect to see these kinds of photos on websites that are accustomed for looking for jobs or using it as a company profile picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment