Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Case for Pseudonyms


In my opinion, Google and Facebook policies are against individual's civil rights and freedoms. These real name policies should not be crafted for all Google and Facebook users who live around the world. In some countries, there is no civil rights at all for their citizens. Those countries don't let free expression of ideas especially if the opinions are against the government ideology. If someone criticizes the government policies it may have dire consequences to the individual or his/her families. I think Facebook and Google did not consider their policies consequence on the citizens of undemocratic countries. These policies may make sense in the home country of these companies, United States is well known for protection of civil rights.  However, applying real name policy in countries like China, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Sudan can put people life at risk.  

If someone wants to use his/her real or pseudonym name, let him/her use it. Generally, using pseudonym name creates a favorable environment for people to express their social, political and economical ideas without any fear.  Our society including big corporations like Google should encourage the free flow of opinions and inspirations. I think if individuals communicate their thoughts and ideas without fear of retaliation, it can bring innovations.     

I agree with the article which states enforcing "real name" policies not viable to enforce it.  I suppose these companies don’t have a means to know whether someone using its real name or not. I believe also law enforcement officers can track down crooks that post harassing and derogatory comments through IP address.  Therefore, enforcing "real name" policies just to catch offenders in the expense of free expression is a narrow-minded decision.

1 comment:

  1. Just reading all the comments makes me want to add the following. I have been registered with Proz for a good few years with my full name, but I became recently aware that if one looked for my name on Google they could find all, but absolutely all comments that I may have entered on pro forums or kudoz etc... And I have to say I did not like it.

    I actually asked the support team what I could do about it, and if I could change my name, and this is why as from now, I only display my name and the Initial of my surname. I thought the problem would have been solved, but it has not, if one looks for my full name in conjunction with say, "translation" on Google, they will all the same arrive to the "Dave S" profile, or see what Dave S post on pros under her full name, so it has not resolved my query. Well, have to accept, it, not particularly happy about it either.

    So I think that may be some translators do choose a pseudonym because they do not want others, potential clients, whoever else to know what they write, or what they ask on pros etc... This is not necessarily nasty on their part, but just to preserve a bit of privacy.

    ReplyDelete