Thursday, January 31, 2013

Literacy and online communication




After reading both articles I do think the people researching the topic do bring up good points. I am able to see poor grammar daily on all social media sites and through my conversations with others. Although I can see this form of writing everyday I don’t think it shows peoples literacy skills to the best of their abilities. Like they explain in the article people who are expressing themselves places other than a controlled classroom setting do use different forms of writing. Online due to me feeling free about what I am writing and who can read it, I am able to use more relaxed grammar and don’t have to worry about being as harshly critiqued on my literacy skills. I do think when they talk about the revolution taking place in present day they are stating a very valid point. Compared to just ten years ago the Internet and all technology have changed drastically and the way we are now using it has to. Due to more people using cell phones and computers, from young children to people in there 90’s the range of people effected by the content on these devices is growing.

In my own experiences online I have encountered individuals who show exception writing skills where format and grammar aren’t very much appreciated. I do find that even while texting I more than other use proper grammar and punctuation. Many people I talk to do not use grammar properly and I do find that sometimes what they are trying to get across sometimes becomes lost, due to improper grammar. I think using proper grammar is important because it shows professionalism and makes communicating much easier but I also think that people who do not use proper grammar are doing anything wrong. I think it is a choice to use such grammar especially by those who are educated enough to have the ability to use proper sentence structure and punctuation, and that choice should be left to the individual to make. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your points about relaxed grammar when texting friends where the situation is not serious and still being able to use formal grammar in school situations! I do the same thing myself by make a choice in what style I want to use.

    ReplyDelete