Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Case for Pseudonyms

Reading the article A Case for Pseudonyms, I have given myself the oppertunity to reflect on and question both the pros and cons of Pseudonyms. I have come to the conclusion that there are benifits to both using one and benifits to not.
I agree with the arguement that people should not be able to use them so that they are forced to take ownership and responsibility for their actions on the internet. Although I also believe that while using blogging cites or other cites such as Twitter or Facebook, there should be a general respect policy. With this policy you should not be able to bully people online, and you should speak appropriately knowing the anyone in the world can access what you are saying. If this were the way things are than there should not be situations where people need to use a Pseudonyms.
Another arguement that was stated in the the article was that many people use Pseudonyms, to stay hidden from certain individuals. I feel that this is an appropriate reason for creating a Pseudonym, and I feel that if I were placed in this situation I would use one as well.
All in all I see and understand both the positives and the negatives of creating a Pseudonym for yourself, but ultimately I feel that they should not be banned because for some people they make all the difference in the world.

1 comment:

  1. I am both pro and con for pseudonyms. I agree with Beth, I think that when used appropriately they can be a powerful way to express an opinion. I also feel that they can be an easy way to cyber bully. I really enjoyed reading your views on the article A Case for Pseudonyms.

    ReplyDelete