Sunday, January 27, 2013

Avatar

I chose my avatar to be a picture of myself as it is my avatar for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr already and I don't believe a constructed cartoon tells people much about a person what so ever.

I completely support internet anonymity but I am highly unlikely to accept a friend request from a person with a cartoon avatar as their Facebook profile picture. Having a picture of yourself makes it easier for friends to find you, especially if you have a common name. A picture of yourself also can tell another person a lot more about you than a constructed image. For example, if a person has their profile picture as a car, you now know that this person is interested in cars but nothing else about their personality or if its even their car. If your avatar is a picture of yourself, a person can now tell what you look like, what you are interested in as a person depending on the setting of the picture and part of your personality. A smiling profile picture represents a possibly happy or friendly person. I believe that you can make a picture of yourself as anonymous as a cartoon avatar by editing and photoshopping. My picture does not express any of my interests as a person as the background is a beige room but it allows family and friends to locate me on social media sites without adding the wrong Caoimhe. I believe that my avatar is anonymous enough to protect information about myself that strangers do not need to know but that it makes it easier for potential friends or followers to locate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment