Sunday, March 3, 2013

Do Online Connections do us good or harm?

Many people these days are now using social media to connect with people. Facebook has essentially revolutionized the term because of the ease at which people are now able to connect and communicate over the internet. But what happens when your friends list doesn't grow anymore? What happens when you find yourself spending a lot of time refreshing the page because your bored and are avoiding other things? Many people nowadays find themselves in the many of these prediciments due to the fact of "overusing" facebook. I believe when a person gets addicted to social media, it shapes their daily lives differently. You now find people updating their status for any little thing or "liking/commenting" all day, but what happens when the person starts talking over the internet to someone a short distance away?

Life takes the easiest route, same goes with water running down a mountain so naturally people do the same thing. Instead of walking to see a friend we now rely on social media to help us bridge the communication barrier... but was there one to begin with? I remember when Facebook first came out, I got to find long lost friends and meet my family members hundreds of kilometers away. Everyone I knew was excited and immediately we spent all our free time using the site to chat and set up meetings and such. Now as I look back, I realized what a waste of time it was. Spending time indoors on my laptop instead of going over to my friends house to talk (before I had a cellphone). I go on from time to time and check what is new with my friends and chat, but after high school, I lost contact with most of my 300+ "friends". I even deleted my account, but eventually I gave in like so many before me. I believe social media is becoming less and less popular, why should we go on Facebook when we can text now? In reality it might just be because we are bored, or we are giving in to the social perception that Facebook is cool in some sort of way.

Lastly I thought about what I could incorperate from other posts, and realized how easy it is to talk over the internet, but when it came to real life communication with the same person, you almost feel uncomfortable because on a social media site, you almost feel invinsible compared to being vulnerable face to face. Over the texts, the person and yourself cannot experience each others emotions, facial expressions, tone etc.. that well as compared to chatting online, this makes a huge barrier in communication and people in my opinion would likely stay indoors instead of having to go out and talk or call.

I believe the use of social media hinders peoples communication with others and makes them needy, almost like a hunger if they don't log on and contribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment