Friday, March 8, 2013

YouTube


If I were to ask any of my friends or family they all know what YouTube is, what it does, and how to use it, including my mom! YouTube has become so popular because it offers people the opportunity to share basically anything they want with the world. People are posting videos about their opinion, thoughts, abilities and creations. This allows viewers to explore content to find out something specific or just for entertainment. I use YouTube on a regular basis, usually I will go to the site to search a music video,  the latest news, or a video to help me with one of my courses. Although I have a account I have only posted videos related to school projects. 

Since I became a frequent user, I have noticed that most threads have one or several negative comments posted.   Although undesirable users can affect the community,  I feel that the site offers users far more positive elements than negative.  

That said, in my opinion the facts and opinions that were presented in the article about violence and YouTube are very extreme. How many times have you heard people blaming a movie or video game for inspiring the latest tragedy? I have heard this story many, many times, and it seems blaming the medium is the easiest thing to do in these types of situations. People are more comfortable attacking a website than they are questioning the people who have behaved inappropriately or the people in their lives who are responsible for them (children). Why is YouTube being questioned as social media site because 6 teenage girls made a video of themselves attacking another person? I feel the only people that should be scrutinized and questioned in a situation like this is the  authority figures in the girl's lives. These people whether it is a parent, teacher etc. should be teaching the girls proper morals and values or at the very least paying attention to the type of behavior they’re displaying.


2 comments:

  1. Great content in the post ! I have to agree that Youtube is globally recognized and even the baby boomer generation is all up in it, especially because they all love Ellen. It is true what you say, people grow big and strong as they sit behind their computers, attacking each other on the web, it is quite disgusting if you ask me. Overall, I enjoyed reading your post. Keep up the great work !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with everything you said. Youtube is becoming more and more well-known globally and it is known for several positive aspects, and just like you said Youtube should not be blamed for videos that people post in regards to fighting or whatever the case may be. Who even knows the amount of Youtube videos that are uploaded daily from all over the world, people who work in head office for Youtube clearly do not have the time to go through every video to see if it is appropriate and falls within the guidelines of what Youtube views as acceptable.

    ReplyDelete