Saturday, March 2, 2013

Memes


Memes act as a carrier for social trends and as humor to distract people from there lives for just a moment but do they bring and real benefit to society ? I believe that yes, the value in memes can be used both as social commentary and entertainment. A meme is targeting an online generation and unearthing underlying trends and socio cultural changes that are happening around the world. Though some memes are just cats with illiterate captions, others have valuable meaning to them, they describe a deep point into what is happening around the globe. 



Memes are able to actually give some sort of message to the viewer that may be beneficial for them to know. In this case I will use the example of political memes, used primarily make fun of political contenders. However, even is the focus is to defame and political figure it stems from actual situations that have happened in the past or in the present. To create the memes there must be some education behind the designer to demonstrate his or her point. 



Me in particular, I have a love and hate for memes for simple reasons. I will see a meme, laugh my ass off but then see it all over my Facebook home page and get pissed off. Memes for me only offer valuable entertainment, to distract me from an other wise cruel world. 

1 comment:

  1. Great way to put it! I think I have the same opinion, they really are like a release, just for humor on recent topics around the world. Amazing what a great picture with a caption can start.

    ReplyDelete