Sunday, March 3, 2013

Memes

 
Memes have slowly dominated several of the social networks we use to communicate with one another. Although they can serve as a very useful and beneficial tool due to the simplicity of being able to comprehend a complex topic in a more simpler form, they can also be really annoying because of the constant exposure of them. I for one, used to really enjoy reading memes. I found a lot of humor in several of the ones that I've seen on Facebook and Twitter.

However, after being bombarded with numerous memes all over my Facebook newsfeed I can no longer say I appreciate them like I used to. Now, it seems like all you ever see on Facebook are the same memes over and over, or the infamous "like this if you believe in this" or "your going to hell if you don't like this." Facebook has definetely ruined my appreciation for memes. Everytime I read one now I get urked with utter rage, so I barely even use Facebook to avoid viewing these annoying memes. However, they are slowly taking over Twitter too! It's like I can't get away from them. What seems to be the most annoying though is when the SAME memes from Facebook make their way onto other social networking sites. More and more people continue to post them on the blogs or online communities that they belong to and I personally believe that the over-exposure of them has made them lose the meaning of why they were so popular to begin with. Don't get me wrong I still think they do have some effectiveness to them. Especially memes that promote political, democratic, and religious views in double entendres. However, I believe that if they continue to be over-exposed in the ways that they already have they will lose their value with many people, because to me personally, they already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment