Sunday, March 3, 2013

Memes: just another form of entertainment

Memes have become such a huge part of social media in such a short period of time.  We are constantly finding them in all areas of informal internet sites; Facebook being one of them.  As I scroll down my newsfeed each time I go on Facebook, it seems that there are at least 2 different memes posted by different friends or pages I have "liked".  It appears that memes started off as a lighthearted/funny way to share different photos or cartoons.  As it became the phenomenon it is today, memes are used to express all different emotions to all different kinds of people.  
The main purpose of this form of communication is to entertain.  I have viewed sites such as 9GAG; each time was usually to distract myself from doing something more productive, to numb my brain with mindless entertainment for a while.  Although I think that memes are generally meant to entertain, I find that I only find a meme that truly entertains me about half of the time.  


Like the most interesting man in the world meme, I feel that people themselves are trying to be the most interesting in the world; whether it is because they are creating new memes themselves, or sharing the ones they've found with friends on social media sites.  Although they are so entertaining, memes are not a useful form of social media.  They add nothing to society besides an occasional chuckle between friends or alone at your desk during work.  I don't see the creation of memes ending anytime soon, but that it okay because what's wrong with entertainment?

No comments:

Post a Comment